http-streams 0.5.0 released

I’ve done some internal work on my http-streams package. Quite a number of bug fixes, which I’m pleased about, but two significant qualitative improvements as well.

First we have rewritten the “chunked” transfer encoding logic. The existing code would accept chunks from the server, and feed them as received up to the user. The problem with this is the server is the one deciding the chunk size, and that means you can end up being handed multi-megabyte ByteStrings. Not exactly streaming I/O. So I’ve hacked that logic so that it yield‘s bites of maximum 32 kB until it has iterated through the supplied chunk, then moves on to the next. Slight increase in code complexity internally, but much smoother streaming behaviour for people using the library.

Secondly I’ve brought in the highly tuned HTTP header parsing code from Gregory Collins’s new snap-server. Our parser was already pretty fast, but this gave us a 13% performance improvement. Nice.

We changed the types in the openConnection functions; Hostname and Port are ByteString and Word16 now, so there’s an API version bump to 0.5.0. Literals will continue to work so most people shouldn’t be affected.

AfC